Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Recruiting

Go down 
+10
thedamnedfan
Nate
Hugo43
pukasheller19
RiDE
KevinBice
SiouxLax
bigpattyboy36
tdarcy
Jaron
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Jaron
Admin
Jaron

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2007-05-11

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyMon May 21, 2007 12:10 am

This is a thread identical to one I posted in the Recruiting section of TLF a while back. It outlines specifics of getting recruited, and some stuff I noticed as I went through the process. Hopefully it can help some of you who may be looking to do the same.

I have noticed an enormous increase in threads in this forum asking about D1 lacrosse. A note to all of you:

Do not set your lacrosse career with the goal of playing Division 1 Lacrosse. A good majority of my high school career I just wanted to go D1. Do not make this mistake.

Alot of you seem like you want to play Division 1 just to play Division 1 and could care a less about the school. Beleive me when i say that there is alot more to the recruiting proccess. When it comes time for you all to start looking at schools, take that mindset of D1 or bust and throw it right out the window. When choosing a school you should be considering many things including:

-Will I get any playing time
-Do I like the Coach

Be conscious of the fact that you will get letters from several Division schools if you are active in the recruiting process. Be sure to consider the things Noted above. Just because you get a letter from a school does not mean you can make the roster, and even if you do it does not guarantee you playing time. Please be aware of the decisions you make while getting recruited. Although Lacrosse is very important to us, it is going to last forever after college and it is important you plan college to accomodate your entire life, not just your lacrosse career. You will not be happy if you choose a school just to play Lacrosse, beleive me.

Social Life is very important in college, please keep that in mind.

This is just my opinion. Although many of you may not agree with me please take this advice. Be thorough, and have a well thought out recruiting process. Stay in touch with the coaches and contact them often. Get a good feel for them and the program as well as the school or you may regret your decision.

Last edited by on Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Butt

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyMon May 21, 2007 9:39 am

Honestly guys he's right 100%. I could've gone and played D3 out at Kean University at New Jersey, probably a good few other schools had I emailed more than 2 coaches. When it comes down to it, being from Wisconsin, it sucks. There's no real "area" schools that you might go to anyways so you might as well walk on to the lax team. Jaron's an exception being from St Louis and Fontbonne. Lacrosse ends after 4 years of college, then you enter the real world. You had better make sure at that point in time you're ready for a career, 99/100 times outside of lacrosse. Like I said, I could have gone to Kean, and settled on a major I'd be OK with but not exactly what I wanted, and even then it would have been a mediocre program. Or I could've gone to Whitewater, taken exactly the major I wanted, and be in the #1 program for it in the nation. Seemed like a tough decision at first because of lacrosse, but then you realize life is coming, and you have to take the next step towards it.
Back to top Go down
tdarcy
Freshman
Freshman

Number of posts : 73

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: College Lacrosse   Recruiting EmptyMon May 21, 2007 11:39 am

Over the past few years, I've developed good realtionships with several coaches from the MCLA up through D1. Almost all of them tell me that lacrosse is just one aspect of a young persons life while attending college. It takes a tremendous amount of time, energy and effort to be a student athlete in any sport and it is very important that young players contemplating playing lacrossse in college realize that...again, that relates directly to club ball (MCLA) all the way up to D1. Best advice I've heard from from college coaches over the past few years is that players need to be honest with themselves, realize that college is a time of preparation for real life and then try to find the school that fits.
Back to top Go down
bigpattyboy36
All-Conference
All-Conference
bigpattyboy36

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2007-05-12

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyMon May 21, 2007 1:18 pm

I can relate to this as well. I was on track to be on U of Dayton's football team for my freshman year of college and i could have played some Lacrosse on the side at one of the top MCLA-B lacrosse programs at Dayton, but i didnt want to go to college to play football. If i had joined up with the Dayton program(s) i probably would have been on the practice squad for 2 or 3 years and then maybe i'd get a shot at the field as a senior or if i came back for grad-school.

pick the SCHOOL you like and then move on to the sports/extracurriculars. Every college has numerous clubs and i havent visited a college that doesnt have intramurals. Lacrosse programs are starting up just about everywhere you go nowadays, so you dont need to ever worry about losing the game after high school.

once you hit high school it's never too early to start looking/thinking about college.
Back to top Go down
Jaron
Admin
Jaron

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyMon May 21, 2007 2:52 pm

I once heard someone tell me "Make a 40 year decision, not a 4 year one."

NCAA and MCLA lacrosse are very time consuming. During the season I have to commit about six hours a day on average to lacrosse. Practice takes up about a 4 hour chunk of your day, and lifting about another 2.

MCLA lax isnt much different. I know quite a few guys who play for Lindenwood and they have pretty tough schedules themselves. Dont take it to lightly.
Back to top Go down
SiouxLax
All-Conference
All-Conference
SiouxLax

Number of posts : 830

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyMon May 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Yea...I might play MCLA only after I find out how much time school is going to take up. I have a feeling that I wont have time for lax since I have to take the normal liberal arts classes(math, science, etc...) plus the aviation classes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.undlacrosse.com
KevinBice
Freshman
Freshman
KevinBice

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-05-29

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyTue Jun 12, 2007 10:56 pm

I started out college playing D3 in Baltimore at a small liberal arts college. I loved the lacrosse team, loved my teammates, and had the greatest coaches I could have hoped for. I HATED the school for a number of reasons. I initially thought I could overlook that and enjoy the lacrosse; I was wrong, and transferred after 1 semester. It was the best decision I've ever made. I ended up here at the U of Minnesota, playing MCLA ball. I still love my teammates, program and coaches, but I also love the school now. What did I sacrifice? Instead of playing for a decent D3 program and getting minimal playing time as a frosh, I ended up being one of the better players on a competitive club lacrosse team. I also now pay half as much for college as I would have been, and am saving myself about $40 grand in student debt.

All said, I think playing divisional ball is a great opportunity for lots of people. It didn't work for me for a number of reasons, but I was also choosing college on all the wrong things. My best advice is that if you're interested in a school, contact the coach and arrange a campus visit. If they offer you an overnight stay with a player, do it. I was set on going to Roanoke until I did my campus stay at Goucher, and after that I was undoubtedly set on Goucher because I had so much fun with the guys on the team there.

It's hard to go play anywhere that it really competitive, being from Wisconsin, but we're seeing more and more talented kids come out of the state and go places - Nick Neuman is doing very well at Ithaca from what I hear, Jaron is playing at Fontbonne, Jace had a successful stint at Mercyhurst and St. Leo's, Sollenberger at Whittier. Wisconsin also has tons of alumni playing at MCLA and GLLC teams and having lots of success there - for instance, we had 4 Verona alumni get all conference honors this year in the UMLL alone. Club ball is as competitive as you want it to be - even if you have D3 talent, you'll still find club ball plenty competitive.

As for commitment, club ball is a big commitment to make, but it's not nearly as much as playing divisional lacrosse. It's also not a commitment that will in any way prevent you from getting school work done; if anything, it teaches you to manage your time better and will help to improve your studying skills. Everyone is in the same boat as you too, so if you need to take a night off to finish up some work, people will understand. Even if you're worried about it being a big commitment, give lax a chance in college. It's worth the payoff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.minnesotalacrosse.org
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Number of posts : 448

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 10:54 pm

well, i just got back from millon camp, and a lot of the guys there are D1 and DII college bound. all the coaches were either MLL or very very good D1 players, and one coach told me that he was recruited more based on drive and character first, and athleticism and skill second, to play for St. Johns. his coach told him he wasnt the best player he had ever seen, but he sent him the letter because he thought he would be willing to take advice and improve, and he had a good attitude and character. so dont give up your dreams...
Back to top Go down
pukasheller19
Rookie
Rookie
pukasheller19

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2007-08-10

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyWed Nov 28, 2007 10:02 pm

does anyone know anything about Tri State university?
its in indiana and a D3 school
Back to top Go down
Hugo43
Rookie
Rookie
Hugo43

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2007-11-20

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyWed Nov 28, 2007 11:26 pm

I heard you can play for the UW madison club team even if you go to MATC, is that true?
Back to top Go down
Nate
All-Conference
All-Conference
Nate

Number of posts : 570

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyWed Nov 28, 2007 11:52 pm

You can't attend MATC and play for Madison unless you're in a transfer program to UW. So it's kind of true.

If you plan on goign to MATC and want to play for UW then you should talk to your guidence counsoler about the Liberal Arts transfer program.

Last edited by on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.stoughtonlacrosse.com
Hugo43
Rookie
Rookie
Hugo43

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2007-11-20

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyWed Nov 28, 2007 11:54 pm

Oh ok thanks man
Back to top Go down
thedamnedfan
All-Conference
All-Conference
thedamnedfan

Number of posts : 799

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 4:56 am

Nate, your so intelligent. Not... and theyre $5.00 a tin...
Back to top Go down
relicdavis
Varsity
Varsity
relicdavis

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2007-06-30

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 9:20 am

Just curious, when you go to your colleges, D1-D3, how many of you had your team colored helmets or stuff payed for or discounted?
Back to top Go down
http://www.JanesvilleLacrosse.com
mmhs089
Rookie
Rookie
mmhs089

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-05-17

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyThu Nov 29, 2007 5:23 pm

relicdavis wrote:
Just curious, when you go to your colleges, D1-D3, how many of you had your team colored helmets or stuff payed for or discounted?

Well, i know that for Division 1, you basically get whatever you want, whenever you want, for nothing. Prob the same for Division 2, not sure about 3. If they are going to be putting in the time and money to bring a big time recruit to their school, they're going to GIVE them what they need to play.
Back to top Go down
bigpattyboy36
All-Conference
All-Conference
bigpattyboy36

Number of posts : 579

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyFri Nov 30, 2007 4:11 am

mmhs089 wrote:
relicdavis wrote:

Well, i know that for Division 1, you basically get whatever you want, whenever you want, for nothing. Prob the same for Division 2, not sure about 3. If they are going to be putting in the time and money to bring a big time recruit to their school, they're going to GIVE them what they need to play.

it's not necessarily what you want when you want,,,, where-ever you go you are usually responsible for your own stick, meaning that you buy it and maintain it on your own time/budget. the rest of the stuff is provided for readily at a D1 program.
Back to top Go down
DwinsChamps
Varsity
Varsity
DwinsChamps

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2007-05-14

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyFri Nov 30, 2007 11:19 am

I think it all depends on the school and its budget. I know some fellas who play D3 and get everything for free, including a basically unlimited amount of sticks/cleats, etc. On the other hand, some have to provide their own stick, they get 1 set of cleats for a season, and have to return their jerseys/equipment to the team at the end of the season.
Back to top Go down
Jaron
Admin
Jaron

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 7:28 pm

mmhs089 wrote:
relicdavis wrote:

I was just reading through this, and thought I would bump it to answer this question more accurately.

I play D3, heres a list of what I have acquired over a few seasons at my school, for free.

Custom CPX
Custom STX I-Pro's
Custom STX K18's
Custom STX Shogun Arm Pads.
Gray pair Team Sweats
Black pair Team Sweats
Custom yellow Under Armour
Custom Gray Under Armour
Black Practice Shorts
Yellow Practice Shorts
2 Reversible Practice Jerseys
Custom Lax Gear Bag
Warrior Razer 2.0
Black STX Shorts
2 Fontbonne Lacrosse gray T shirts

Not too mention the countless bus trips, hotels, and meals that get paid for us when we are one the road. Divisional Lax is no joke, no matter what level.
Back to top Go down
relicdavis
Varsity
Varsity
relicdavis

Number of posts : 404
Registration date : 2007-06-30

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Are u starter? Jv? Etc?
Back to top Go down
http://www.JanesvilleLacrosse.com
Jaron
Admin
Jaron

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 9:26 pm

I do not start, I am the fourth attackmen, and am on the man up unit. Being a starter does not matter, everyone on our team gets the same stuff, whether you score 40 goals or 0.
Back to top Go down
pmirving
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Juniors time to think about Recruiting.   Recruiting EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 9:18 am

Recruiting starts this year for many of you if you even thinking about playing in college. I know when I was looking for a school back in the early 90's it was tough, trying to get the attention of coaches, programs and the like. They do not chase you, you have to chase them. Email now seems like the number one form of communication. Keep them posted on how you are doing during the season, get tape of play of you and send it in. Build upon the relationships you form at camps. That will get you a head. In this month's US Lacrosse Magazine there is a great article, you should read it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Recruiting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recruiting   Recruiting Empty

Back to top Go down

Recruiting
Page 1 of 1