Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Teaching Correct Fundamentals

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KevinBice
Freshman
Freshman
KevinBice

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-05-29

Teaching Correct Fundamentals Empty
PostSubject: Teaching Correct Fundamentals   Teaching Correct Fundamentals EmptyTue Jun 12, 2007 9:46 pm

This year I coached a high school team, and not one single player on the team had the correct fundamental mechanics. I ended up having to spend most of the season teaching fundamentals, which also meant learning how to coach and teach correct mechanics and movements. It's surprisingly difficult to teach fundamentals since once you have mastered them, you take them for granted. I wanted to start a topic in here to see if anyone else had some unique ways of creating good habits or correcting bad ones.

One of the unique things I did was with ground balls. I noticed that all of my kids were scooping with their bottom hand on their stick, which meant that their stick always ended up hanging out in front of them rather than in a protected position. I told everyone to start scooping with their top hand like I've always done, and the ground ball drills began going a lot more smoothly. I also had them do a drill where two guys are 10 yds apart with a ball in between them, and one kid runs in and scoops up the ball. Once he's touched the ball, the other guy is released to come in and body check him. The guy who scooped the ball was to turn his shoulders so his stick was protected and then absorb the hit and roll off it. After we did this drill a few times in practice, we stopped dropping the ball every time contact was made.

I also realized that if I told the kids to puff out their chests on passing and shooting drills, it forced them to raise their front arm up to the correct position. This saved me a lot of headaches.
Back to top Go down
http://www.minnesotalacrosse.org
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Teaching Correct Fundamentals   Teaching Correct Fundamentals EmptyTue Jun 12, 2007 11:27 pm

Just wondering, but what exactly do you mean by scooping with their bottom hand vs. top hand?
Back to top Go down
The Butt

PostSubject: Re: Teaching Correct Fundamentals   Teaching Correct Fundamentals EmptyTue Jun 12, 2007 11:38 pm

Probably getting your hand to the plastic of your head, and getting low, as opposed to being lazy and having your hands at the end of your shaft.
Back to top Go down
JordanEC23
Varsity
Varsity
JordanEC23

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2007-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Teaching Correct Fundamentals   Teaching Correct Fundamentals EmptyTue Jun 12, 2007 11:49 pm

Alright, thx for clearing that up for me.
Back to top Go down
bigpattyboy36
All-Conference
All-Conference
bigpattyboy36

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2007-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Teaching Correct Fundamentals   Teaching Correct Fundamentals EmptyWed Jun 13, 2007 12:47 am

it's the difference between pushing the ball around on the grass and actually scooping through and earning your groundball
Back to top Go down
Jaron
Admin
Jaron

Number of posts : 480
Registration date : 2007-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Teaching Correct Fundamentals   Teaching Correct Fundamentals EmptyWed Jun 13, 2007 1:09 am

I have noticed alot of kids have horrible mechanics on shooting. Most of them either dont know how to position there hands, drive their legs into it, snap their wrists, etc.

I used to teach youth players and make them go through the motions multiple times with out balls in their sticks to teach muscle memory. It ended up working for the better.
Back to top Go down
KevinBice
Freshman
Freshman
KevinBice

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Teaching Correct Fundamentals   Teaching Correct Fundamentals EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 3:02 pm

by scooping with the top hand, I'm describing where the majority of the scooping motion comes from. You should be able to go down for a ground ball and release your bottom hand as you make the scoop and still get the ball. The top hand should be predominantly the one that's making the scoop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.minnesotalacrosse.org
RiDE
Varsity
Varsity
RiDE

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2007-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Teaching Correct Fundamentals   Teaching Correct Fundamentals EmptyThu Jun 14, 2007 11:15 pm

i think insidelax mag has a section with drills for coaches, i remember seeing a drill in there to teach players to shoot overhand, like shoot over a cage near you into one 10 yards away or someting, it was more complicated, but that was the important part. they involved like a V cut, and a dodge in there somewhere, i think it may have been the may issue of this year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teaching Correct Fundamentals   Teaching Correct Fundamentals Empty

Back to top Go down

Teaching Correct Fundamentals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: www.wiscolax.com-
Jump to: